Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Yesterday -- The Backup Song

A couple of days ago I stumbled across this funny song:

Yesterday -- The Backup Song 


Yesterday,
All those backups seemed a waste of pay.
Now my database has gone away.
Oh I believe in yesterday.

Suddenly,
There's not half the files there used to be,
And there's a milestone hanging over me
The system crashed so suddenly.

I pushed something wrong
What it was I could not say.
Now all my data's gone
and I long for yesterday-ay-ay-ay.

Yesterday,
The need for back-ups seemed so far away.
I knew my data was all here to stay,
Now I believe in yesterday.

1 comment:

  1. The origin of the lyric - This was written by Sunni Freyer, a PR person in Washington State in 1998. It was first published online on the website alice.net, the precursor to the current remote-backup.com, in 1999.

    Sunni wrote it for Rob Cosgrove, founder of the Online Backup Industry and owner of Remote Backup Systems at remote-backup.com, who develops and distributes white-label online backup software for MSPs and Service Providers.

    A second stanza was written by Bill Frick, also in 1998. Both original lyrics can be found on the Wayback Machine Internet Arcives from January 17, 1999 at the following link:

    web.archive.org/web/19990117031458/http://alice.net/yesterda.htm

    ReplyDelete